Thursday, November 6, 2008

And, finally, NC turned BLUE!!!!

I waited all day yesterday to hear the other bit of news that I was eagerly anticipating...that Obama had won North Carolina.  Unfortunately, provisional ballots kept many from calling North Carolina, though Obama had received more votes than his opponent on election day.  

The Obama campaign battled hard in North Carolina and I wanted this last victory.  Even if Obama had lost in North Carolina, it would have been a feat in itself that we had come so close.  Luckily, Obama was not relying on our electoral votes to win the election, so I felt some comfort in knowing that even if we lost North Carolina, we *did* win the United States.

And then today, two days after the election, the AP called it....
President-elect Obama is the apparent winner in North Carolina, a symbolic triumph in a state that hadn't voted for a Democrat in more than a generation.
North Carolina turned blue.  Carolina, Blue!  Today was a beautiful day for such inspiring news.  I have voted in every election I have been eligible to do so, so my experience at the poll was not much different than what I've experienced in the past.  However, I have never felt so proud to be a North Carolinian and an American as I do today.

No comments: