Friday, March 13, 2009

March Madness

I am a college hoops fanatic (or a junkie, as someone affectionately called me). I love this time of the year. It helps that my favorite team, UNC, is generally a good team, and that the ACC Conference is also generally good each year. But lest you think I limit my fanaticism to just one team, I'd like you to know I just love watching a good college hoops game, no matter the team. I grew up watching college sports and one of the reasons I chose UNC was because I wanted to go to a school with a successful sports program, or at least one where students and alumni are big fans. I loved watching UNC games in Mexico City with other fans who were on vacation (but obviously they didn't plan well, because who would leave the country during March Madness!?)

So my addiction leaves me tired and with no fingernails. I can't sit still when there's a good game on. Last night, I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning to watch Syracuse beat UConn in SIX overtimes. I watched the entire game, considering Syracuse is the team I support after UNC and the other ACC (except Dook) teams. There was no way I was going to go to bed until the game was over!

6 overtimes. The best players fouled out by the 3rd overtime, so the last players on the court were players who hardly played during the regular season. That game seemed to be a prime lesson on the importance of sticking it out and the true meaning of working as a team. Sometimes I wonder what the benchwarmers think while on the sidelines the whole season, as they watch the top players get the glory. But, this game proved that those players are just as important to the team as the starting 5.

I love college sports because of games like these. The emotion involved is almost palpable. I read a neat article about the game and how certain sports moments are unforgetable and how that's what keeps so many of us hooked. There are certain sports moments I'll never forget: when Roy Williams spoke after Syracuse beat Kansas for the national championship, Henderson bashing Hansbrough's nose, Chris Weber calling a time-out he didn't have, Kay Yow's last game coached....

However, one thing I don't like about March Madness is imminent feeling that the end of the basketball season is coming. It's always a bittersweet feeling to know that I won't be riding this sports-induced roller coaster for at least another 9 months or so. Sure, I enjoy other sports, but college hoops is in a different league for me.

In an ideal world, I'll get my passing letter the same weekend that UNC advances to the Final Four. But, I'll also admit that I'd be thrilled even if just one of those things happened. Yes, I admit that UNC winning a national championship is nearly as important to me as passing the bar.

GO HEELS!!!

No comments: