Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Objectives and Outcomes

This is where this blog might get quite boring.  Crunch time is here.  Sigh....

My undergraduate degree is in Foreign Language Education.  One of the most helpful things I learned was how to set goals, define objectives, and measure outcomes.  Our lessons plans couldn't just say "teach present tense conjugation of verbs ending in -ar."  Instead, we were forced to write "students will demonstrate understanding of present tense verbs ending in  -ar by demonstrating 80% accuracy in conjugating 10 common verbs."

The past month has been a warm up for me, but now the fun really begins.  This week, I will tackle NC Wills and finish up Corporations and Professional Responsibility.  I will also do at least 36 MBE multis and write out the answers.  I will start tracking my progress here so that I can make sure I am meeting my own goals.

So, tonight I learned (and can write at least a 6 point essay about):
  • Attested, holographic, and nuncupative wills
  • Basic requirements for a will to be admitted to probate
  • Revocation of wills
  • NC lost wills statute
  • Dependent Relative Revocation
I also demonstrated 100% accuracy on making a mean mac & cheese and a tomato basil soup to go along with it.  However, this past weekend, my objective of catching at least one fish was not met.  I was able to cast out with about 50% accuracy and was also able to eat a yummy cannoli with 100% accuracy.  If it were not for the bar exam, I would venture to say that accuracy in cannoli eating is a much more useful skill than knowing about nuncupative wills.  Well...unless someone wanted to give me a cannoli on their death bed...I don't think the cannoli would last until probate though, so I would have to have a witness write it down that the cannoli was intended for me.

Alas, the legal fog is setting in and soon my life will be reduced to hypothetical situations....again.

No comments: