Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Jobs and Treats

This morning, I didn't cry. That, my friends, is a small step forward. I felt somewhat optimistic, in fact. I felt a bit of relief knowing that I had a job to go to---that my life is not defined by a law license. For those who don't already know this, I am a translator/interpreter/recruiter/trainer for a large quick service (ok, fast food) franchise here in NC. So, despite not being deemed "minimally competent" for a law license, I am a certified Master Biscuit Maker. Not only can I whip up some top-notch biscuits, I can do so in less than 3 1/2 minutes. Surely that makes me more than "minimally competent." Right?

There are those who just passed the bar and who are, unfortunately, unemployed. If I did not have my job, not passing the bar would have been more of a setback, especially if loan repayments were due. For those who did not pass the bar, yet who are in that situation, I am very sorry. Another reason not passing the bar sucks. Big time.

Since I was planning on going out on my own, I had seriously curtailed spending in the past few months in order to save up. Now that I know I will have an income through the fall and winter, I allowed myself to a few treats: houseplants (over the past year, all the ones I had before died due to lack of care), new hiking boots, and a few new knives (for cooking....and for slashing bar review material in March).

Each day is easier than the day before it. Again, I tell myself that if this is the worst thing that could happen to me, life is pretty good.

No comments: